Owning or managing a youth activity center, such as a gym, swim school or dance studio is an extremely rewarding but hectic venture. If you ask any activity center owner what they love most about their job, chances are they prefer teaching their student more than manually tracking attendance, billing parents or filing registration paperwork.
Utilizing a comprehensive class management software will help improve your business operations by automating these important, but not so fun tasks, giving you time to interact with your students, while strategically planning for the future of your business.
What is class management software?
Class management software is a web-based solution that helps youth activity center business owners track its students, manage class registration, collect tuition payments, communicate with parents and track staff time. Well, that’s the short list of solutions anyway.
We’re here to break down the top five ways using a class management software can help grow your business.
5 ways class management software makes an owner’s life easier
The right software can save staff time, which saves you money.
Processing registration and class enrollment can cost youth activity centers in time and money. Hours of staff effort can be eliminated when you switch from entering, reconciling and updating individual cells in an Excel file to an online platform that allows mass updates and other seamless functionality.
Avoiding efforts that drain you and your staff of precious time cuts down on business labor costs, which could be the single largest line item in your operating budget.
Class management software allows you to focus on customer service.
When it comes to implementing new software, the words streamlining and automating operations can make office staff feel uneasy. But have no fear.
Time saved through business process automation allows staff to invest efforts in providing more attentive customer service. As the business owner, consider dedicating a portion of routine staff meetings to review customer service best practices with your staff.
This is a value-added service that your parents and staff are sure to appreciate.
Using a class management software improves cash flow.
How many small business owners sweat making payroll or paying bills every month? How many forgo paying themselves a salary to cover operating costs?
According to Fundera, 30 percent of small business owners don’t pay themselves a salary. Improving your gym’s cash flow provides financial stability and considerably less stress on owners.
Class management software functions such as letting parents set up auto-pay for their monthly tuition and other fees, batch processing credit card payments, automatic re-processing if initial payment fails, and setting up automated communication follow-up for parents with overdue bills all directly increase your gym’s revenue.
Having one digital hub that shows parents their outstanding bill and where they can make payments (assuming they haven’t set up auto-pay) makes it easy for parents to stay current – all without having to take staff time. The easier your gym class management system makes it for parents to send you money – the better off you are!
Increased happiness through improved user experience.
Making everyone’s life easier makes your life easier. Your parents, your trainers and your staff will all be pleasantly surprised by how using a comprehensive class management software allows them to take care of their own business like:
- Parents enrolling their children in classes when it’s convenient for them, from their phone or computer.
- Instructors easily checking their upcoming schedule online and enjoying accurate paychecks because they used software to track actual hours worked.
- Office staff quickly pushing out group text messages alerting parents to a canceled class due to weather, or easily generating marketing emails for a flash merchandise sale.
The result? They are happy and so you are.
Gain clear visibility to make smarter decisions based on accurate data.
One of the most valuable benefits you and your business will enjoy from using a class management software is having a single source of truth for your data.
Many new business owners use a simple spreadsheet program to manage their youth activity center’s data. Not to throw shade on Excel, but all those cells, rows and tabs can quickly become a quagmire of conflicting, incomplete or missing data. The heart of any valuable class management system will be the single, central database it uses to hold all your gym’s data.
What if you could make one single change that automatically update hundreds of student records? Having a single source of data means those kinds of changes to enrollment and financial information, to name a few, can occur with the click of a button.
Say goodbye to guessing which classes are under performing, and what instructors have the best student retention rate. Give your gut a rest and start making critical enrollment decisions based off a reliable foundation of information.
When you go with a software vendor that stores your database securely online, you can also feel safe that you’ll never lose your business data. The software vendor handles critical technical issues like backing up your data, so it will always be available to you.
Bringing on a comprehensive class management software
Adopting a software system for the first time, or an entirely new software can be difficult. As the business owner, it’s important to walk your staff through the entire onboarding process to help them conquer the technology learning curve.
Follow these five principles when bringing on a comprehensive class management software to start seeing results for your business:
- Introduce the new software. State your reason and goals for bringing on the class management solution so that everyone is on the same page. No lingering questions need to be left as to why this business decision was made.
- Enable experimentation. Before your go live date, allow your key stakeholders the opportunity to test drive the software so they have a better understanding of how the program looks and feels before they are formally trained.
- Share your personal stories and tips on how you have used the software thus far. This is not the time to be bashful. Imagine how nervous some of your staff may be just before learning your new class management software. Take this time to share with your staff what you have learned, the hiccups you’ve experienced and the amazing ‘Aha!’ moments you’ve had to this point.
- Schedule help when needed. As a youth activity center owner, you take training your students seriously. Do the same for your staff when it comes to learning how to use class management software. Don’t hesitate to schedule additional training sessions with the software’s support team when necessary.
- Encourage your staff to use the software. Just like you teach your students- practice makes perfect. Don’t think your staff won’t need practice using your class management software, too. Encourage as much use of the software as possible through the beginning phases while onboarding this new business solution.
Remember, you’re investing in a class management software to help grow your business. Following these simple steps to start out on the right foot will ultimately make your life as a business owner easier.